Monday, August 25, 2008

Saturday Morning Golf

Saturday morning I got up bright and early to hit the links with a few friends. We were looking for somewhere close and cheap, and after a little scouting around decided on Country Club of Norwood. We were definitely dead-on with the cheap part. Although greens fees were a decent price ($33 for 18 holes), I'm not sure if the course was worth the money. The fairways were in poor shape. The water hazards looked and smelled like some sort of sewage was draining into them, and there is a surprisingly busy airstrip VERY close by.

Although there were many downsides, the day was not a total waste. I picked up a birdie on one of the few par 5s (the course was par 70 and very short - 6000 yards from the tips) and we had an absolutely beautiful day to play. We also had the course virtually all to ourselves. There was one group ahead of us who dropped out after nine, and not a singe group behind us that we could see. I have been playing golf around Boston for four summers now, and this was by far the quickest round I've finished at just over 4 hours.

Despite the poor condition of the course and my poor play (shot an 87, ouch!) I was really happy to get out and play as it was my first round with my new driver! I picked up a Taylormade Burner 10.5 stiff flex 50 gram shaft that I was absolutely BOMBING down the fairway. Can't wait to get out and hit it again! Anyone have any suggestions for a respectable, affordable course around the Boston/South Shore area?

No comments: